Likely the most important and popular evidence for the Bible’s reliability and authority is the evidence of fulfilled prophecy.

There are over twenty other books whose authors or followers claim to be divinely inspired. Among these are the Hindu Vedas, Upanishads, Mahabharata, Avesta, Pali Tripataka, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenant, Pearl of Great Price, and the Qu’ran. It is important to note that out of all these, not a single one contains any fulfilled prophecy but the Bible itself.

Roughly 27% of the Bible contains prophecies that, at the time of writing were future events that had not yet taken place. That is more than one out of every four verses! Many of these prophecies were not simply vague predictions like those of Nostradamus or Jeanne Dixon, which have been shown to be false numerous times. But they were in many cases extremely detailed!

According to author J. Barton Payne, who wrote the Encyclopedia of Biblical Prophecy there are  approximately 1,817 prophecies within the pages of the Bible. Some say there are more, some say there are less.

Of these prophecies, 1,239 are in the Old Testament and 578 in the New Testament. From the Bible’s 31,124 verses 8,352 of them contain prophecy. According to Payne, 87% of the prophecies have already come to pass and of the remaining 13%, 98% of those will be fulfilled during the seven year tribulation.

Following are some examples of prophecies relating only to Israel:

Leviticus 26:44 - "Yet for all that, when they are in the land of their enemies, I will not spurn them, neither will I abhor them so as to destroy them utterly and break my covenant with them, for I am the Lord their God." For all of history people have tried to destroy Israel. Yet even after being forced from their land, and returning roughly two-thousand years later, God's people still remain.

Ezekiel 37:21 - "... Behold, I will take the people of Israel from the nations among which they have gone, and will gather them from all around, and bring them to their own land." This was fulfilled initially on May 14th, 1948 when Israel became a nation again, and ever since then Jews have been flocking back to their land. Sometimes with nothing more than a strong feeling telling them to do so.

Ezekiel 36:30, 35 - "I will make the fruit of the tree and the increase of the field abundant, that you may never again suffer the disgrace of famine among the nations... And they will say, ';This land that was desolate has become like the garden of Eden, and the waste and desolate and ruined cities are now fortified and inhabited.'" For two millenia Israel which was previously Palestine was nothing short of a wasteland. But ever since 1948, Israel has undergone agricultural transformation. Now Israel is one of the leading exporters of goods such as fruits and flowers. However most it?s neighboring countries are still almost entirely wastelands.

Zechariah 12:2-3 - “Behold, I am about to make Jerusalem a cup of staggering to all the surrounding peoples. The siege of Jerusalem will also be against Judah. On that day I will make Jerusalem a heavy stone for all the peoples. All who lift it will surely hurt themselves. And all the nations of the earth will gather against it." You don?t have to do much research to see how many friends Israel has. The United states has been allied with them for years, but our government has been trying to pull ourselves back from them lately. In Genesis 12:3, God is telling Abram about the land that He will give to His people, and that He will bless those who bless the land of Israel and will curse those who curse the land of Israel. I think it is interesting how the more we try to pull our support from Israel, the more our country collapses.

Matthew 24:1-2 - "Jesus left the temple and was going away, when his disciples came to point out to him the buildings of the temple. But he answered them, ';You see all these, do you not? Truly, I say to you, there will not be left here one stone upon another that will not be thrown down.'" This was fulfilled precisely as it was written in 70 A.D. when Rome destroyed the temple.

Isaiah 46:9-10 says “I am God, and there is none like me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done”. There is no one in existence who can foretell such things. No one, but God himself.

categories: apologetics, bible